Monday 6 June 2011

Twilight By Peter James


First off please forgive me as this is my first ever review since I was at school anyway.

Right so here is the blurb from the back:

Three muffled thuds ring from the partially filled grave of the newly wed girl. Only the verger hears them and he dismisses the noise as his imagination. But over the next few days others also hear faint sounds. An exhumation order is granted. Reporter Kate Hemingway sneaks into the small suburban churchyard when the coffin is opened, and the scene she witnesses is so horrific she can never forget it. As she starts work on the story, Kate finds herself caught up in a sinister and macabre cover-up. At the centre is a respected anaesthetist who has a secret obsession. He believes people can exist outside their bodies and that if he can prove it he will provide the answer to the question that has haunted mankind through the ages: is there life after death? Nothing - and no one - is going to stand in the way of his driving ambition . .

I have read Peter James before and love the way he writes so I was really looking forward to this book and the fact it was one of his earlier books pleased me as I have only read his Roy Grace series.
If, like me, you have ever been worried about being buried alive this might not be the book for you. It had me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next page to be turned.
Kate Hemmingway was a believable journalist who knew something was up and was going to find out at any cost what had happened, even breaking in to a Funeral Home to find out the small details but puts her life in jeopardy by being so determined. She consults with a medium who tells her to be careful although the true meaning of the messages don't get through to Kate until near the end when she ends up in hospital.
Harvey Swire is the anaesthetist who after a near death experience of his own, believes that there is life after death. The way Swire goes about trying to prove this is very sinister and seemed to me to be quite plausible.
The book keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish, the end is a really good twist that I would never of guest. I would recommend this book to anyone who like to read horror or a good thriller.

One final point, before you bury or cremate me make sure I am dead first!

No comments:

Post a Comment